- 2kg boneless pork shoulder
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 fresh green chili pod, chopped
- 215g can chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 410g can tomato purée
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 50g 70% cocoa dark chocolate, chopped
- 500g packet tortilla chips, to serve
- 1 avocado, diced or 500g avocado pulp
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, plus wedges to serve
- 1 long red Chili pod, seeded, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Pat pork dry with a paper towel and sear.
Remove from the pot and keep warm in a large heat-resistant bowl. Put the saucepan with the oil aside.
In the meantime, put the onion, chili pepper, chipotles in Adobo sauce and cinnamon in a food processor and mix until a paste is formed.
Put the paste in the hot saucepan and stir until the mixture thickens a little. Add tomato paste, sugar, stock and 2 cups of water. Bring to the boil.
Put the pork back into the pot and reduce the heat to medium to low temperature. Put the lid on the pot and cook for about 1 hour, then remove the lid and simmer for another 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
Put the meat on a chopping board and remove the excess fat, then roughly chop the meat with 2 forks and put it back into the pot. Add the chocolate and heat up briefly while stirring. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
For the avocado salsa, mix all ingredients in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
To serve, arrange the stew in bowls and garnish with salsa, tortilla chips and lime wedges.